Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Sachin
BGR Oldie

Re: Nukkad

Post by Sachin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:39 am

Marten wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 am
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. His mom was physically pushed out of the queue despite being a very quiet and introverted person. He got someone high up to call and talk about bring video evidence about the staff being hostile (flight was full and they were trying to offload folks based on who could protest or not). Even then the Stn Manager was defensive and threatened to blacklist the passenger!
This seems to be a common problem then. A friend of mine (who is from Tourism industry) had mentioned a situation in which his wife and kid were denied boarding. This was when they were at the boarding gate/area well ahead of time. And their luggage was back with them in less that 10 mins. Which gave a feeling to my friend, that this was a planned move. Their luggage were not even in the plane, as some one higher up had decided that the duo (mom & kid) would not be allowed to board.

Looks like IndiGo is actually overbooking flights and then using shady tactics to chuck out a few passengers at the last moment.

AdityaM
BGR Newbie

Post by AdityaM » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:01 pm

jamwal wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am
Any suggestion for air purifier ?
In India only look at Panasonic or Philips, avoid rest.
Purifiers are expensive. Plus find cost of replacing hepa filter.

when u buy look at the air capacity. How big a room it can serve. Also look at cost of changing filter. Filter can cost 3-5000 ₹
It can cost over time more than the cost of device

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/slideshows/b ... 224228.cms

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:10 am

Too late. Ordered a Philips 2000 Series online. I am boycotting Panasonic after their idiotic campaign against Diwali

http://www.opindia.com/2017/10/twitter- ... li-tweets/

Indigo serves only halal food on it's flights. I contacted them on Twitter but received no reply. Is there any way of making them serve non-halal meat ?

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm

jamwal wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:10 am
Is there any way of making them serve non-halal meat ?
Yes, sikhs to unite and collectively and publicly demand that.

Good yindoos (as sanctioned by the powers that be) are vegetarians. Bad yindoos don't care if it is halal or not. Outlaw Yindoos (ie beef eaters like moi) are not worth mentioning anyway. As I understand only Sikhs have a problem with halal. So, I don't think you will get much support here.

Better luck would be to get the Good yindoos to agitate for banning non vegetarian food on board. You will get huge traction onlee.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't support bans . This country is already full of banchods. I just want the meat dishes to be non-halal.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:40 pm

after the clumsy hit jobs on Amit Shah and Doval's sons by the scroll, it looks like the slimy creepy crawlies are coming out of the rank and rotting wood work. Has the scroll replaced the tehelka network in the congi armoury?? ;)

Shekhar Gupta‏Verified account
@ShekharGupta Nov 7

More Shekhar Gupta Retweeted ThePrint

Omidyar stake in Scroll/Newslaundry is fully clean. Came after @jayantsinha left as India head. Offshore doesn’t necessarily mean dodgy/evil

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 am

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello Burkhas and Bhurkies (?), thanks for accepting my entry into this for-rum. Thanks Dileep.
My twitter: https://twitter.com/saikanomie

I will read the shutdown dhaaga to know what went wrong with Houston.

PS: I think I know what went wrong.... but will preserve for closed door discussion

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

gentle push from elephant and man flies 10 feet away
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/viral-vide ... topstories

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 am

The elephant did a good job making it look gentle. If you watch its front feet...from the point that the guy kissed it on his trunk to when he is airborne, the elephant's feet moved forward about 5 to 7 feet. The entire bulk of the elephant moved forward by this much..while making it look like a simple head flip. He's lucky to be alive. I'll admit the elephant was quite restrained....it did not do anything after flinging him off.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:16 am

was he a newbie to the elephant?

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Indian students in US dwarf America’s FDI in India, spend whopping $6.54 bn
Indian students spent a massive $6.54 billion in the US in 2016-17, up 30% from the previous year, dwarfing the North American country’s foreign direct investment (FDI) of $2.37 billion in India. Of course, a large part of US FDI routed through low-tax jurisdictions like Mauritius is not counted here, although recent changes in tax treaties have made the route a bit less attractive. Among large countries, India was outstripped by China in 2009-10 to become the largest place of origin of students coming to the US, with correspondingly high spending. However, in recent years India has been bridging the gap with a scorching pace of growth in students it sends to the US — 29% in 2014-15, 25% in 2015-16 and 12.3% in 2016-17. Between 2010-11 to 2012-13, when the global financial meltdown hit the US economy badly, there was negative growth in Indian students going to that country. Chinese students spent $12.55 billion in the US in 2016-17, up about 10%.

According to Open Doors, a study by the Institute of International Education along with the US government’s education department, students from India and China now represent approximately 50% of the total enrolment of 1.08 million international students in the US. Indian students comprise 17.3% of all international students in the US, it added. The continued growth in international students coming to the US for higher education has had a significant positive impact on its economy. About 1.08 million international students studying at US colleges and universities contributed $36.9 billion and supported more than 450,000 jobs to its economy during 2016-2017, said NAFSA, an association of international educators.

Open Doors reported that about two-thirds of all international students receive the majority of their funds from sources outside of the US, including personal and family sources as well as assistance from their home country governments or universities. Interestingly, the number of US students coming to India to study for academic credit at their home university has been on the decline since 2013-14 and it fell by 5.8% to 4,181 in 2015-16, as they increasingly prefer European countries. India’s rank in terms of outbound destination for US students also declined to 15 from 13.
I guess H1B difficulties, extended GC wait times etc. have had very little to no impact on Indian brain drain. Why not? With IT/ITES/Engineering hiring almost down in India and in my industry...slowed down to a crawl...the lucky ones whose families can afford to send them outside through self sponsor or via loan will do it.

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Singha wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm
gentle push from elephant and man flies 10 feet away
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/viral-vide ... topstories
Reminds me that Bengali Bhadralog ordering Gajraj to stop.......in English :rotfl:

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Gajraj thammo!!! Nekami hochche! (Gajraj stop! Acting smart!) that one was epic :rotfl:

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm

i guess that shows how much mass and sudden acceleration count. a sumo wrestler hitting a layman would make him fly off similarly.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Looks like Vina got Surajsan pissed off about trolling about steel for IR and got banned on BRF. I disagreed with him on most things, but he did bring a good discussion in to ISRO space launch systems.

salaam
BGR Newbie

Post by salaam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Mort Walker wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm
Looks like Vina got Surajsan pissed off about trolling about steel for IR and got banned on BRF. I disagreed with him on most things, but he did bring a good discussion in to ISRO space launch systems.
He reaked of self declared super-intelligence. Good riddance if the ban is permanent.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 am

photo from CNN, the rev al franken on a transport plane NSFW
http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/1 ... ge-169.jpg

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 am

Mort Walker wrote:
Bound to happen at some point. The very few minor interactions I had with him over email offline years ago, he seemed sane but his online persona was clearly a stereotype of a know-it-all obnoxious IIT munna. :lol:

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 am

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 am

Raja wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 am
Mort Walker wrote:
Bound to happen at some point. The very few minor interactions I had with him over email offline years ago, he seemed sane but his online persona was clearly a stereotype of a know-it-all obnoxious IIT munna. :lol:
I thought he was IIT + IIM? I became unhappy with him and Dipanker being Kangress-pappu supporters. It seemed to defy the evidence clearly at hand.

Some people like AmberG and NRao I disagree with politically, but professionally and scientifically I have the highest utmost respect for them. The fellow who I agree with almost all around is our friendly neighborhood bubba yak-herder.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am

IIT + Ivy Liga YumBeeAye. The elite of the elite :mrgreen:

Amber G I respect for her enthu for physics but not for her snooty holier than thou attitude so typical of old school MUTUs.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 pm

What do you guys think about Padmavati debate?

Fiberals are outraging over Karni Sena while there is zero talk on whether a filmmaker can tamper with history. I strongly feel that there may not be any romantic scene between Allaudin and Padmavati, however they may try to portray Allaudin as "Ashok", who repents later on havoc caused. Along with that, demonizing Brahmins just the way they were demonized in Bajirao Mastani movie.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:35 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... estigated/

Checkpoint

A Navy pilot drew a penis in the sky. It's not the first time something like this has been investigated.

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Folks, let us avoid discussing BRF and BRF users.