Indian Movies Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Primus
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Primus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Saw Manikarnika yesterday with SHQ. It is a record of some sort for me to have seen two Hindi movies in a theater in one week! Looks like I'm on a roll here :-)

I liked the movie, SHQ thought it was mediocre. I've always been a big admirer of Jhansi Ki Rani. I thought Kangana did a good job, the role is somewhat of a hyperbole and therefore does require a little bit of an OTT performance. The visuals and the battle scenes were well done, the backdrops at times looked too much CGI - perhaps they could have done a somewhat better job there. To my mind nobody has been able to get the slick quality and visual power of the battle scenes in the LOTR finale - The Return of the King, but then the budget for that movie was humungous.

All in all I would give it three and a half stars out of five, but I do recommend it, especially for us Jingos.

What is interesting is the Wikipedia entry on the life of Laxmibai. The overall impression is that she was some kind of bandit queen, the word 'Jezebel' is used to describe her although attributed to a quote from an English historian. At the end of the article they do compensate by quoting Subhadra Chauhan's famous lines on her, but I came away with a bad taste.

If you read the Wiki entry on Bhagat Singh, it is even worse, the first section describes him as a cunning terrorist. And you cannot even edit that page any more.

FWIW, I stopped contributing to Wikipedia a while ago once I found out their anti-India stance.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:59 pm

I noticed another thing in Manikarnika. They showed the Maratha slogan as 'Deen! Deen! Har Har Mahadev!' which I think was done to 'secularise' the movie because Deen Deen is akin to AoA & is a jehadi call. Did Marathas really use this deen deen har har mahadev or is it just a figment of imagination of the filmy directors?

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Spoiler Alert***************

They only show that when she is walking up the Gwalior Fort. Before that it is mostly just Har Har Mahadev, and even the Pathans are seen shouting that. I am also not quite sure if Deen Deen means an islamic call to arms, usually deen refers to the faith as in 'deen dharam', a phrase often heard in Hindi movies. But perhaps they inserted that in the end to make sure the seculars were happy.

On a different note, Muslims did side with Jhansi and the Marathas in the 1857 war of independence.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Primus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm
Spoiler Alert***************

On a different note, Muslims did side with Jhansi and the Marathas in the 1857 war of independence.
Yeah, for the larger goal of the caliphate :)

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 am

Primus wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am
Finally managed to see Uri today with SHQ, it was sold out in our area for the weekend.

Very slick movie, well acted, well directed, great cinematography and action sequences though could have been a bit more tensely scripted. What is amazing is that even though it comes across as fiction - none of the soldiers were killed - we know it is all factual and true. That in itself is mind boggling. The movie has just the right amount of sentimentality, brought a tear to my eye many a time, SHQ admitted afterwards that she cried - she never does, so that is another amazing thing from my pov.......
Super awesome movie, best hindi movie ever. let me change that to best movie ever.

With the theater at full capacity even after 10 days of release, and the amount of crowd cheering, clapping, and sloganeering; I think Modi/Doval planned for this movie while planning the strike, how else could you churn out such marvelous effort in such short time? also the timing of release near the '19 election campaign - how's the josh!

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:40 pm

No "URI" in Brusselabad. Most of the viewers are Bakistani...........so distributors decided not to show URI in Belgium. We had all shitty films here. shame

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:54 am

Saw Romeo Akbar Walter on Netflix. Pretty good stuff, well made and the sets were authentic. Good acting too. Said to be based on true events which makes it that much more interesting.

Anybody seen 'Tashkent Files'?

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:30 am

Talking about Indian movies, I saw Kesari the other day. It's available on Amazon prime. I think overall a strong performance by Akshay Kumar although I didn't really feel that he fit the sikh role well. It felt a little forced it to me. I would say overall he managed to pull it off. Islamists, always point out the bollywood movies as being fake because of how one Kafir can take on so many muslims and completely decimate them.
In that angle, Kesari proved to be top-notch. The power of the Sikh is unmatched.

However it does pose a worrying question for me. With increasing regional and political divide is it worth supporting Punjabi nationalism over any other state. To my experience, Bengali nationalism is already a worrying phenomenon. Kashmiri nationalism is already worrying phenomenon.
Ok, so there was some reference towards fighting for Azadi, but it was it really Azadi for Sikhs for Azadi for India.... I was not so sure.
The reality is we all know that Punjab and Indian Sikhs are well integrated. However, I feel for the international Sikh removed from India, this would well serve as a pro Khalistani movie..... There was nothing really to identify with India itself.....
So all in all a good movie but too much focused on Sikhs and not enough on Bharat for my liking....

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 am

I saw the trailer for Mangal by Akshay Kumar, which seems to be a good trailer for me. Many have already started commenting on the trailer because of chronologically the GSLV failure happened after Mangalyaan got launched?
In any case good to see the movie is being made on ISRO scientists. Of course it's got a little bit of Masala but overall something that I think I would definitely watch.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Anybody Seen Tashkent Files? Several very bad reviews, but from the usual suspects.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:32 am

Saw Mission Mangal this weekend. Loved it. You have to ignore the mandatory Bollywood stuff in between, but the story is quite gripping and well done, liberal dose of humor included. Vidya Balan I am afraid seems to be going the Smriti Irani way, but she does a good job.

Worth watching for sure.

Kumar
BGR Member

Post by Kumar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:11 am

mission mangal is a big anti hindu propaganda...
https://twitter.com/sridhar_2103/status ... 0554808320

https://twitter.com/Sanjay_Dixit/status ... 04207.html

save your money and watch batla house

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 pm

OK, will do. However, I think MM was a good movie. By now you have to ignore the appeasement stuff, at least is is not so gratuitous as in Sacred Games.

Got to see if Batla House is playing locally.

Kumar
BGR Member

Post by Kumar » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Amazon Prime series just released Family man is another one with heavy dose of liberal propaganda.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 am

Wondering if anyone has had the chance to view the new movie Tanhaji and maybe their opinion on why it is a good movie from a pro HIndu standpoint.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 am

Saw an amazing animated series called the legend of Hanuman on hotstar over the last few days. The animation itself was quite impressive as well as the storyline. Hanuman, is portrayed as not fully understanding his true self. It’s a discovery for him through multiple episodes. The storyline always ends in a cliffhanger. All in all makes you yearning for more every time and episode finishes. Season one was quickly completed in a breeze. I’m really hoping that they will create a season two.

Great for the whole family, and has the potential somewhat of the older Ramayan series to culturally unify and be a landmark series if they continue to make it in this vein.

Would recommend for anyone who has seen it and thinking about seeing it, really 5/5 I would say.