The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Deans
BGR Newbie

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by Deans » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:36 am

shyamsp wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 pm
Karnataka and Rajasthan will be key for BJP to retain same position in 2019 at the Center or not. If Congress retains KA and gains Rajasthan, it can eat away many seats in then BJP territory in the North (given how we saw it in Gujarat). BJP can fall back below majority even if it retains UP.
For 2019, I think the biggest threats to the BJP will be:
1. Maharashtra - If SS splits and Cong/NCP unite - possible 20 seat loss.
2. Raj & Haryana - Anti incumbency at State level - 10 seats
3. MP/CH/UP/GUJ - 10 seats loss as its difficult to replicate 2014 results

Opportunities:
1. Orissa
2. TN - If BJP ties up with AIADMK or Rajni
3. WB + Ker - can definately do better than 201.
4. Assam & NE - 5 more seats.

The threats and opportunities should broadly cancel out. That leaves the TDP. They will probably go with the likely winner.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 am

You can discount TN from that list.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am

who is Rane https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/- ... 2018-03-10

A prominent Shiv Sena leader for the most part of his career, Rane was chief minister of Maharashtra in 1999. He was expelled from Shiv Sena in 2005 by then Sena Chief Bal Thackeray after he publically criticised the party. He joined Congress after his expulsion from Shiv Sena.

However, he was largely sidelined in the political tussle inside Congress. Although he got an influential portfolio of revenue minister in the Maharshtra government, his dream of becoming CM again seemed illusive by each passing day.

Despite his political influence in Maharashtra, he seemed unable to adapt to the so-called Congress-style of politics. It is said that his rivals within the Congress party actively worked to sideline him. Rane has been openly vocal about the current Maharashtra Congress chief Ashok Chavan's alleged plotting against him.

Rane held great influence in the Konkan region. However, over the years his lost grip over the region after Shiv Sena created bulwarks in his path. Shiv Sena's Vaibhav Naik defeated Rane in Maharashtra assembly election held in 2014.

Frustrated by continuous snubbing by the Congress, Rane left the party in 2017 in an attempt to join BJP. But due to fierce opposition by BJP-ally Shiv Sena, he was not inducted in BJP. He was told to form a new party and join NDA. Rane then floated Maharashtra Swabhiman party and declared support to NDA.

It seemed that former CM of Maharashtra was in for another snub session as the BJP did not show any sign to facilitate his active return to Maharashtra politics.

Rane is said to have been keen on staying in Maharashtra's political circles instead of entering the parliament. But given the past, it seems that the Rajya Sabha seat is currently his only ticket back to political prominence.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 am

Offering Narayan Rane Rajya Sabha Seat from Maharashtra BJP has proved that there is nothing called permanent friend or foes in politics.
Sad that no party is driven by values and principle's.
rane is being inducted to counter Shiv Sena.
He has several corruption cases against him eg land gaban, adarsh scam, money laundering, hawala, matka business etc.
charges against him have been levelled by several BJP top members in past.
there has been huge grouse inside party to get him in, his entry is enabled by Amit Shah & David Fatnavis. https://theprint.in/politics/narayan-ra ... ies/11918/

Tanaji
BGR Newbie

Post by Tanaji » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 am

Rane is on the same level of corruption index as Pawar, except he is more crass. He has a stronghold in the Konkan region and has ambitions of being a CM. His son is another piece of work...

This will not end well for BJP.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 am

Isnt he the same chap who threatened journos with a chappal after someone exposed his corruption? Why does BJP want somebody like him?

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 am

Narayana Rane's entry into RSS (= BJP) and RSS giving him RS ticket has NOT surprised anyone. Those who are expressing surprise are ONLY doing drama because they want to convince others that they genuinely believed that RSS was anti-corruption

Narayan Rane has been openly pro-corruption. And all RSS-workers and RSS-leaders across India except Modiji (*) are also pro-corruption. So Rane will gel well with RSS-workers. Rane's only grudge in wearing RSS uniform was that previous uniform had shorts and not full pants, and many fashion aware folks would NOT like such dress anymore. But RSS had evolved and upgraded to full shorts. So now Rane bas NO problem in wearing RSS uniform. And rane had never had problem in shouting BMKJ and VM slogans, those he will need to work to match the decibel level of RSS-leaders and RSS-workers. But he can certainly work on it

So Rane's entry into RSS has NOR surpised anyone.

(* - forum rules prohibit postors from writing that Modiji is pro-crony etc and so I cant write so !!)

===============================

Shocking news -- Maharashtra farmers' march: 30,000 farmers reach Mumbai border, plan to 'gherao' State Assembly on Monday
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/arti ... dia/206501

Maharashtra farmers' march: 30,000 farmers reach Mumbai border, plan to 'gherao' State Assembly on Monday

11-mar-2018

Mumbai: The massive farmers' march in Maharashtra that started out from Nashik on Tuesday, finally reached Mumbai on Saturday as thousands of protesters camped outside the octroi naka yard near Mulund toll naka. The crowd, whose numbers swell to 35,000, slowly proceeded towards KJ Somaiya ground in central Mumbai. The agitating farmers are expected to stage demonstrations outside the Maharashtra assembly in the city on Monday. Mumbai police has already issued traffic advisories for tomorrow as the the march is expected to clog busy roads in the city. 30,000 farmers marching to Mumbai reach Bhiwandi, to ‘gherao’ Vidhan Bhawan on Monday

Wearing red caps and waving flags and sickles, nearly 30,000 farmers have marched from Nashik to Bhiwandi in the last few days, and are close to finishing an exhaustive 180 km walk to Mumbai, in a bid to protest against the stat government's apparent apathy towards their plight. Among other things, the farmers are demanding a complete waiver of loans, implementation of M.S. Swaminathan Commission recommendations (which ensures fair remuneration), waiver of power bills and transfer of forest lands.
Pls click the link to see the picture. The farmers are wearing red cap, and have hammer-sickle flag. They are openly communists-leftists.

If 30000 have reached mumbai, then support across MH would be in lakhs. So how could communists gain support of lakhs of farmers across MH ? Isnt MH supposed to be Modified?

Solution I propose is that PSU banks should stop giving loans to ALL without collateral, and take write-off policies. Write-offs to people like Ruisa or deemed write-offs to scamsters like Nirav Modi promts all to demand write-offs. Give write-off to one, and 100 will ask. Deny collateral free loans to ALL and none will ask for collateral free loans. For this, we need a TRUE no nonsense and anti-crony PM and and a TRUE no-nonsense and anti-crony FinMin, and TRUE no-nonsense and anti-crony RBI-Gov. And we have FinMin and RBI, past and present, who have been loaded with nothing but nonsense and cronyism. And past PMs were 100% nonsense and pro-cronies (*). So nationalists across India need to work to get a TRUE no-nonsense and anti-crony apex.

(* - forum rules ban postors from writing that Modiji is anti-corruption or pro-cronies !!!)

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am

While I like his confidence and all, given the state of the judiciary, I'd be more circumspect in making such grand claims...

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

https://twitter.com/bijuppillai/status/ ... 9996365824
Dr.Biju.p @bijuppillai Mar 9

Kerala hindus are now minorities by birth rate statics of 2016.Every new born hindu child born after 2016 are born as minority community in kerala.
Do govt gonna give minority status for hindus in kerala @jaypanicker @SaanjuS @mohandastg @surendranbjp @Swamy39 @VMBJP @Kummanam

If this is the state of KL, WB must likely be worse. Sigh. Demography is destiny. Game over.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am
If this is the state of KL, WB must likely be worse. Sigh. Demography is destiny. Game over.
Don't know if it is true. But I remember reading that yes the child births among the minority community is high, but all of these children are not boys. Majority of them are girls. KL already has more wimmen than men (for quite some time). Radicalisation among women would be much less. Secondly this may also lead to a situation of more Reverse Love Jehad.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Any idea why UP exit polls are not out?

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Bypolls usually have no exit polls. Too small an event generally

KL Dubey
BGR Member

Post by KL Dubey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Since folks are speculating on 2019 elections already, I may as well throw in my estimates for the NDA (I did a calculation last week).

I was quite conservative, assumed no tie-up with TDP or SS, some "anti-incumbency" factors, and some new gains.

Northwest: JK 3, HP 4, UK 5, PB 3, HR 5, DL 6. Total 26

West: RJ 15, GJ 23, MH 20, GA 1. Total 59

North/Gangetic Plain: UP 75, BR 35. Total 110

(this is the only region where I was "slightly less conservative". The good governance from Yogi and Nitish, plus NaMo, Yogi, and Nitish campaigning together has every possibility of sweeping these two states). Out of 120, I let 10 seats go - albeit hotly contested - to the likes or Mulayam and his 2-3 relatives. Lalu's 2-3 relatives, Pappu, Antonia, and Mayawati.

Central: MP 25, CG 9, JH 8. Total 42

East: OR 2, WB 3. Total 5

Northeast: 20 (I let 5 seats go to the likes of AIUDF and INC)

South: KA 15, All other southern states together 5. Total 20

Others: Union territories 4, Anglo-Indian BJP members 2 (same as current). Total 6

This comes to NDA 288. The BJP individual tally would be something like 250.

I view this as the minimum/baseline tally.

With 2018 seeing several development initiatives coming to fruition, progress on high-level corruption, general weakening of INC and other regional parties, plus a kick-ass campaign managed by Shah and featuring NaMo, Yogi, and others....I would expect NDA numbers to go much higher...in the region of 320-330.

If the clowns in SS and TDP get their act together and rejoin in time, then I expect NDA numbers to swell to 340-350.

If BJP gets new allies in AP (YSRC instead of TDP) and TN (AIADMK or Shivajirao), then NDA numbers would be 350-360.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 am

Sachin wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:08 pm
crams wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 pm
Bottom line: I don't know whether Pagalika types are Christian converts, but what drives them is a colonial-disease driven veritable hatred of Hinduism as exemplified by her tweet attacking Hindus after Prof. Basu embarrassed her lover boy Pappu in Singapore.
Off topic: There are lots of "born - Hindus" from our generation, and the immediate previous generation who have deep contempt for Hinduism as a religion. My observations are limited to subset of people who I meet in KL. I could identify some streaks/common trends in this limited sample.
i) among our previous generation there existed a large group of people who did not overtly benefit from being a "Hindu". Many of them came from orthodox families who were even very ritualistic etc. But when times changed, their previous "Hindu" life style gave nothing to comfort them. The vedas they learnt, the type of professions they took up; all became useless when times suddenly changed. For them the religion was just an empty show with no deep meanings.
ii) many Hindus; especially from the SC/ST groups of our generation & the previous ones firmly believe that all the ills they suffered were because they were "Hindus". Many don't realise that their ancestors suffered, but they were treated harshly by others from non-Hindu religions as well.
iii) in our own generation a lot of "Hindus" had to study in X'ian convent schools (because Govt. schools were of poor quality), and migrate to the Islamic countries in the Middle East. Many such characters soon get a deep inferiority complex, that "Hindu" religion actually was of no use to them. Every thing they gained, was because of the "benevolence" of other religions. This group generally have given up on any form of open show of Hinduism, may celebrate a few festivals out of necessity.
The others who don't have outright hatred for Hinduism, cringe whenever you mention you follow Hindu religion or anything thats got to do with rituals, deities or idols. Most Hindus shyly say that their religion is Hindu or would hesitantly tell people that they do not eat beef or non-veg because they are Hindus :-). Its all part of the macaulite hang over. One good thing to see is that the world is slowly ackowledging Hindu way of life being different from abrahamics eg. you have Hindu veg/non-veg meal options on flights or at conferences in many countries. Something I would personally like to see is having 'Jhatka' only butcher shops every where in India. Most of the meat Hindus consume is halal just because their local butcher is a muslim. The UPdesis and Biharis have taken over the local business in many cities across India e.g. the fishing business in Mumbai where the Kolis (local fishermen) are suffering, would be great if the Biharis actually go for meat shops and finish off the halal business in the cities

fanne
BGR Member

Post by fanne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

Kumar ketkar as the RS member by cong (C -system)....there is a message but what is it? Maha is in play, they think he and likes of him have influence to break SS-BJP gadbandhan and make MH in the the play?

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 am

fanne wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am
Kumar ketkar as the RS member by cong (C -system)....there is a message but what is it? Maha is in play, they think he and likes of him have influence to break SS-BJP gadbandhan and make MH in the the play?
I bet he will still strut around the channels pretending to be an independent analyst.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 am

So, aadhar and GST are not the only disasters that our param poojiya, fraud foundation pasand, "owner" of a body shopping company and his congi cohorts are involved in??

Banking scam has UPA era roots

Banking scam has UPA era roots

By SREE M. IYER | | 25 February, 2018

Correct way an LoU should be issued.

‘Advice’ came from the UPA government to all public sector banks to change over to Finacle.

There are several ways in which banks the world over facilitate credit to their customers when they are importing and exporting goods. For instance, when I used to work in India, about 30 plus years ago, I was employed as a sales engineer distributing the high technology products of an American company. Most customers in those days were the defence laboratories, manufacturers for defence and so on. Abdul Kalam was the director of Defence Research and Development laboratories in Hyderabad and was tasked with producing missiles such as Agni, Trishul and so on. Suffice to say, there was a lot of activity.

Every time a new project came down the pipeline, there would be an elaborate procurement process that would involve the buyer opening a Letter of Credit (LC) with an Indian bank such as the State Bank of India. The LC would specify the amount in dollars since it was a US supplier, would specify whose responsibility the goods were once it left the premises of the supplier, where it would land and so on. Excruciating details needed to be filled, even for small amounts. This LC would be checked, double checked and triple checked by at least three different entities (the buyer, the distributor—i.e. the company I worked at—the foreign exchange group in the company that telexed the data to the company that handled international sales). If even one comma was out of place, the LC would be rejected and the process would start all over again. The point of this is that there were many checks when money left India for purchasing equipment from abroad.

Fast forward to the present. There are many ways in which banks provide credit facilities to its customers. A due diligence process is undertaken, the size and capacity of the business to repay is computed and the limits are accordingly set. These limits are set in the Core Banking System (CBS) or a trade finance system. This covers all types of guarantees by the bank such as a Letter of Undertaking (LoU), a Bank Guarantee (BG) or a Letter of Credit (LC) facility.

LoU issued via manual entry in SWIFT, bypassing CBS.

HOW IS AN LOU SUPPOSED TO WORK?

When an LoU is issued normally in the CBS, the CBS makes a debit entry and then generates an LoU SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) message that is then transmitted to the foreign entity. For more, see Figure 1.

But what really happened in the case of Punjab National Bank was that there was a manual entry of SWIFT message that was possible, which the SWIFT gateway provided. This method bypassed the use of the Core Banking System module. This means that the CBS does not have any knowledge of the LoU. For more, see Figure 2.

Regrettably, this “shortcut” is used all too often in Indian banking to generate fake LCs and BGs.

Figure 1 was a simple illustration of how an LoU works. Figure 3 describes the same operation with a Release Control Mechanism (RC). Swift gateways provide an RC, which can be used to check every swift message that goes out of the bank. In this mechanism, every message should have a backing accounting entry in CBS and if such an entry is not found, the system does not allow the swift message to be sent out. In the case of LoUs, the backing entry in CBS will be the debit entry. Many global banks also implement anti money laundering screening or anti-terrorist scanning for each SWIFT message as part of the release control mechanism checks.

LoU with Release Control Mechanism.

HOW COULD HAVE THIS HAPPENED?

Go to any bank in India. You will find a Rs 2 pen tied to the desk that has all the forms. This is how zealously they guard their property. Then how could this happen, that too for several years? This clearly indicates that there were higher ups in the know and perhaps were on the take. As I mentioned previously, this cannot be wished away as an isolated instance. There are several such scams in the banking system and the system needs to be controlled immediately.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?

For this, we need to go back to an age when Laser Soft CBS product was the dominant software provider for the banks. Their software had a robust implementation of LoUs similar to what is described in Figure 3. How they were replaced by Finacle and how their business was almost driven to the ground is a story of deliberate attempted murder of an enterprise that needs to be told here.

Corporation Bank, a PSU bank was among the first to automate its banking operations. Since they were headquartered in Chennai and as was Laser Soft, they worked closely to implement the CBS. One of the perceived limitations that were held against the Laser Soft product was that it did not have a Relational Database Management System (RDMBS). Even if this were true, it could have been enabled in a very short time.

A reliable source, who wished not to be named, told me that though there was a public perception that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had advised all banks to go for RDBMS; apparently there was no such directive. “Advice” came from the UPA government to all Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) banks to change over to Finacle. They obeyed in a herd, despite the high cost involved. Given the leakages that have taken place in the banking system, a ruthless examination by investigating agencies should be made of the UPA decision to change a well-functioning software with a much more expensive (and plainly inadequate) alternative.

WAS LASER SOFT PREVENTED FROM BIDDING?

My reliable source also added that when Corporation Bank was evaluating various solutions for an RDBMS based software solution, the rules were abruptly tweaked in such a way as to exclude Laser Soft. If true, this warrants a thorough investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation. Prime Minister Narendra Modi needs to act in order to protect his image of being a clean politician and to save the banking system from further fraud. I have also heard rumours that other chairmen of PSU banks were also coaxed into buying the new software. There was allegedly an instance of an ex-chairman landing at the city, where a PSU bank was headquartered, to lobby for Finacle. The CBI needs to investigate this without fear or favour. I have also heard that RBI continues to use Laser Soft CBS. If this is true, it is a stinging indictment of banks that go by “advice” from interested quarters. The Nirav Modi-created meltdown in PNB resources could be the tip of a much bigger iceberg of similar ways in which the banking system is being defrauded.

AN I.T. NIGHTMARE

When an existing piece of software, say Microsoft Word for Windows, which is what I used to type this article is being considered to be replaced, then it raises several concerns in the minds of the Information Technology (IT) group. These are the guys who will have to go to every computer on which the old software is installed, take it out and replace it with the newer software. Suffice to say it is a pain in the neck. They usually resist change. Why fix something when it is not broken? Long story short, unless there is a compelling reason for changing the product, the IT guys do not want to change it. They are often overworked, asked to deal with many tasks that their job description does not list. No wonder that in several banks, installation of Finacle software is still a work in progress.

CONCLUSION

The corrective action has to be put in place immediately by moving forward. All existing software, all security measures should be checked, upgraded and verified. If this means foreign banking has to be suspended for a few days, so be it. This is the public’s money that is being played with. Most importantly, an inquiry needs to get conducted as to how the public banking system was “attacked from within” during the UPA period. Four years is too long a time for the government to avoid responsibility for its inability to ensure that the PNB scam was stopped in its tracks soon after the victory of the “na khaoonga, na khane doonga” Prime Minister in 2014.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 am

banking processes are rotten. We came to know about swift fraud accidentally, not through audits. God knows how many skeletons are lying in their cupboard.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 am

Would take the article with a pinch of salt. The functionality has nothing to do with the software itself but how the bank wants to deploy it. The same release control can be implemented in Finacle itself. If any one buying new software, would ensure that it does not have dated technology. The real question is why lack of realease control (either systemic or manual) was not found by the internal and external auditors? or was were they asked to ignore it?. Blaming it on Finacle does not cut ice here

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 am

Kabir wrote:Its all part of the macaulite hang over. One good thing to see is that the world is slowly ackowledging Hindu way of life being different from abrahamics eg. you have Hindu veg/non-veg meal options on flights or at conferences in many countries. Something I would personally like to see is having 'Jhatka' only butcher shops every where in India.
One more off topic (and I am done) ;). Many flights these days also have Hindu Jain food. Now Jains are a tiny community. The only reasons I see for such a special privilege to be given are; Jains are into business, many Jain businessmen are also rich & Jains are proud of their religion & culture, including food. In the other Hindu communities one or more such qualities do not exist, for various reasons.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am

Delhi Police knew from Day 1 that Sunanda Pushkar was killed. DNA has done a scoop of an internal DP report. Why is the MHA not going hammer & tongs at Tharoor? This guy is in bed with D-Company & surely dealt with their money in IPL.

KL Dubey
BGR Member

Post by KL Dubey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am

Chandragupta wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am
Delhi Police knew from Day 1 that Sunanda Pushkar was killed. DNA has done a scoop of an internal DP report. Why is the MHA not going hammer & tongs at Tharoor? This guy is in bed with D-Company & surely dealt with their money in IPL.
Yup yup. DNA is a Zee media outlet. Not to be outdone by Republic and Times Now, these guys are also going after Congi frauds and crooks. I never thought I would see the day that nearly every media outlet worth its salt is basically supporting NDA goremint - not with rhetoric or doctored debates but by going after UPA scams and other criminal activities.

I think the CBI/ED strategy may be to get Dawood and some of his closest gang members, once he spills the beans all these characters like Tharoor will be dead meat.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

Sonam Mahajan Verified account @AsYouNotWish

BREAKING: More trouble for Congress. Karti Chidambaram sent to the Tihar jail, judicial custody extended till March 24 by the Patiala House court.
https://twitter.com/AsYouNotWish/status ... 5266579457

If true, beech sadak bhaangra!!

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 am

Had sorta always suspected the jai-italy chap of being soft on the ghandys. The Ghandys have repaid just as snakes and scorpions are wont to repay you.

Now, even kejri is having fun at AJ's expense. Fitting. Heh.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

Hari Seldon wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 am
Had sorta always suspected the jai-italy chap of being soft on the ghandys. The Ghandys have repaid just as snakes and scorpions are wont to repay you.
:lol:. No sympathies for Jaitlee in this case. And if this becomes a big issue, this would be the right time for the BJP to ask him to "step down", and he can always come back after explaining himself. I am expecting more fire works in the banks & NPA related issues.