Indian Economy - News & Discussion

News and Discussions about politics, current affairs, international relations, economy, elections, state level politics etc.
This forum is strictly moderated.
Chandragupta
BGR Member

Re: Indian Economy - News & Discussion

Post by Chandragupta » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:19 pm

Modi & his band of Gandhian commies will finish the Indian economy, it is almost already dead anyway.

https://twitter.com/nsitharamanoffc/sta ... 32450?s=20

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 am

Chandragupta Sounds to me that finally we are making some moves on making sure that CSR is actually implemented. Why is this not such a good thing? If anything it's made her huge revenue generator from profitable companies all across India. For those that don't know the exact rule, approximately 2% of the company's profits that earns over ₹50 million is required to go into projects that help the disadvantage. It seems however that previously companies were bypassing this rule and more accountability has been set up.
Let's not forget that, the economy continues to grow at over 7%. Tens of millions have been lifted out of poverty over the last five years, more so than in previous years. Indians can now afford to some decent healthcare and his sanitation schemes itself have saved over 300,000 people.
I think a lot of schemes have served their purpose and Indians are a lot better off.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:50 am

Muns wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 am
Chandragupta Sounds to me that finally we are making some moves on making sure that CSR is actually implemented. Why is this not such a good thing? If anything it's made her huge revenue generator from profitable companies all across India. For those that don't know the exact rule, approximately 2% of the company's profits that earns over ₹50 million is required to go into projects that help the disadvantage. It seems however that previously companies were bypassing this rule and more accountability has been set up.
Let's not forget that, the economy continues to grow at over 7%. Tens of millions have been lifted out of poverty over the last five years, more so than in previous years. Indians can now afford to some decent healthcare and his sanitation schemes itself have saved over 300,000 people.
I think a lot of schemes have served their purpose and Indians are a lot better off.
CSR is just tax, additional tax on top of already existing tax slabs. And they are criminalizing non compliance - which means a tax inspector will sit & decide whether the company did proper CSR or not. Knowing India's tax inspectors, we can all guess what will happen.

Also, most of the CSR money goes to NGOs - no money for guessing where 90% of NGOs are aligned. Modi government keeps shooting itself in the foot and cheers itself for it.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:56 am

Have to say, that the effects of the coronavirus on global economy are going to be far-reaching. What is really struck me is the short amount of time that it is taken for a large proportion of people to immediately come under financial strain. For those pretty much living paycheck to paycheck this will come as a huge shock. Already we see here in the states companies have very little reserve for situations like this. Employees are being furloughed with some benefits in the hope that they will be able to come back over the next couple of weeks. With the current quarantine means that dual working parents making trying to meet ends meet have sadly seen their income gone to zero.

It may be the same for migrant workers in India as well. Without a paycheck it doesn't take too long before they hit rock bottom and are needing to head back home to wherever their support systems lie just so that they can get by. The situation today regarding this, was really difficult to see. Massive crowds thronging the bus stations in order to head back to UP.
The coronavirus may hang around for approximately another four weeks. The economic effects will be felt probably for years. India was already under a lot of financial strain coming into the situation. This is the ticket on which opposition governments have been playing their cards for the longest time. Maybe it was staged so that a large proportion of migrants could leave.

Many countries may think twice again regarding doing business in China post coronavirus scenario. There is no doubt that this may happen again and maybe even more frequently. Perhaps they could be is a silver lining to this dark cloud. I would hope that many countries would see a post coronavirus China as possibly a lot more unstable and look towards India for at least some of the manufacturing needs.

World has clearly entered recession as bad or worse than in 2009: IMF MD

https://www.india-aware.com/world/world ... 09-imf-md/

“We have reassessed the prospects for growth for 2020 and 2021. It is now clear that we have entered a recession as bad or worse than in 2009. We do project recovery in 2021,” IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva told reporters at a news conference."

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 am

Hard to know how many businesses can survive past the 14th of this month with regard to the Indian lockdown. Already those businesses that require a lot of foot traffic such as taxis, rickshaws and to some extent even roadside eateries/pan shops will be taking a huge hit. Tough situation to be in. Open up too soon and you risk a surge of virus containment. If you don't open up, then the above millions involved in these industries will simply, Fold up adding to the strain of millions of unemployed. This could effectively change the surge for which BJP and Modi have managed to navigate so far. I think is already done a fantastic job with the lockdown.

Unfortunately, extending the lockdown pass the 14th could really hurt the chances of the BJP and him in the long run. It may be the best of two evils in lifting the lockdown on the 14th.
I have also heard that electronic shops that have stockpiled cooling units prior to the summer may be holding onto excessive stock that they will need to get rid of. Unable to do this if you really can have the foot traffic that you need.

Aditya
Forum Moderator

Post by Aditya » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Muns wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 am
Hard to know how many businesses can survive past the 14th of this month with regard to the Indian lockdown. Already those businesses that require a lot of foot traffic such as taxis, rickshaws and to some extent even roadside eateries/pan shops will be taking a huge hit. Tough situation to be in. Open up too soon and you risk a surge of virus containment. If you don't open up, then the above millions involved in these industries will simply, Fold up adding to the strain of millions of unemployed. This could effectively change the surge for which BJP and Modi have managed to navigate so far. I think is already done a fantastic job with the lockdown.

Unfortunately, extending the lockdown pass the 14th could really hurt the chances of the BJP and him in the long run. It may be the best of two evils in lifting the lockdown on the 14th.
I have also heard that electronic shops that have stockpiled cooling units prior to the summer may be holding onto excessive stock that they will need to get rid of. Unable to do this if you really can have the foot traffic that you need.

Muns, I must say you are right it is going to affect BJP in the long run. All the opposition CM wants to extend the lockdown so, in the long run, they can blame Modi, We all know we are still a developing nation with a large population. We have done a great job until now. But markets are running out of storage because production units are not working. Agriculture is going to be the most affected area. We are not getting workers to cut our Crops. incoming time we will be hit by Inflation. And all opposition is going to blame PM. So they should at least open 50% lockdown