Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Vrish
BGR Newbie

Re: Nukkad

Post by Vrish » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:13 pm
Javee wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 am
bleddy, you build a house with a basement which was once a lake and go crying to the consulate when it rains, wah bhai wah.
I find it more interesting that one is able to address a problem by going to massa consulate -> PMO -> NDRF -> State team -> resolution

but cannot get it done by

1. state machinery doing it on its own without somebody have to prod it
2. state machinery doing it even after prodding the MLA, joint commissioner Commissioner of BBMP

that is a real problem, no?

you said the exact issue. you and singha both,

our infra and administration are a complete mess and we can mock this NRI lady all we want but seriously just because we have got used to apathy and sloth.. we dont get how badly we are being let down by the state

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 am

^^ Just to be technically correct, she is not an NRI, but a PIO. As the latter, she is entitled to call her consulate/embassy if she needs to.

It's a poor reflection on Sidhu's govt in KA (incl. BBMP), but somehow the lady mentioned only Modi in her complaint :lol:. I wonder if she'd blame Trump for the Houston flooding?

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:43 am

has anyone read this book ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Meridian
said to be a american classic & true reflection of the pervasive violence through which the frontierlands of a young usa were 'built' - whose legacy endures in society to this day
there are other works of that theme one of which is a harrowing recent film Brimstone
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 24821.html
just reading its plot makes one feel really ill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(film)

it is loosely based on another book of the same blood soaked 'frontier' genre

a far cry from the JT Edson and Louis'L Amour types i devoured in school library from a tender age...mostly gunfighting and cattle rustling tales from texas, missouri and kansas

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

The issues are not just with Siddhu or Congress. There was a BJP govt before and a JDU government. The people are equally greedy and flouted rules. There were so many green zones in and around Bengaluru tat has completely disappeared. People bought them fully knowing the history of these lands thinking that they will be able rezone them. We utterly lack civic sense and if we keep expecting the govt to bail us out then we have not learnt anything on the last 60 odd years.

sum
BGR Newbie

Post by sum » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:00 am

Javee wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am
The issues are not just with Siddhu or Congress. There was a BJP govt before and a JDU government. The people are equally greedy and flouted rules. There were so many green zones in and around Bengaluru tat has completely disappeared. People bought them fully knowing the history of these lands thinking that they will be able rezone them. We utterly lack civic sense and if we keep expecting the govt to bail us out then we have not learnt anything on the last 60 odd years.
Agree 400%

Its a vicious cycle of public lack of civil sense,apathy (by rulers and ruled) and dont care attitude of all and sundry

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:06 am

Javee wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am
Agreed saar, just that currently Siddhu is holding the chair, but he seems to get a free pass in these reports. Sort of like our western neighbour - they are like this onlee, so ignore them. And toward the end of his 5 year term, he still goes around blaming the previous BJP govt!

Frankly, I don't think BJP winning KA next year will have any positive impact on BLR, and even many people I talked to here feel the same way. In that sense, BLR was an equal opportunity exploitee for all political hues, that's why it has fallen so far. So the election race here is still very much in the open for now.

gauravsh
BGR Newbie

Post by gauravsh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 am

Gurus, need some info regarding taxation on joining bonus.
I joined last financial year and was paid a certain amount X as joining bonus. Corresponding tax was deducted on the same.
I am leaving before the lock in time for joining bonus expires and will have to pay the complete amount X back.
Company says it cannot show the recovered amount in form16. I cross checked and there seems to be a govt directive regarding that.
However, they are willing to provide a official receipt on company letter head regarding the recovery.
I understand that as of now i cannot do anything and can only reclaim refund while filling return.
1.what are the options i have ?
2. Any previous scenarios like this ? I found some contradictory judgement from tribunals in Ahmedabad and Chennai regarding notice period paybacks.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 am

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 pm

MadhuPurnima Kishwar‏Verified account
@madhukishwar
Following
More
@iHrithik @Republic interview truly heart rending. World is waking up to the fact that women can also stalk, as also make false rape charges

ritik put forward his side on republic; many sympathizing with him.

Aman
BGR Newbie

Post by Aman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:18 pm

1. A saying in the bible “no man can serve two masters…..”. Can the Mods of BRF also be the Mods of the new forum and serve the interests of both the forums equally well? Moreover, one of the reasons BRF has gone into a steady decline over the years is the somewhat roughshod manner the old Mods let their overbearing style prevail in most matters (locking threads, their interaction with the mango members etc). Should they now bring the same style of Moderation to this newly formed forum?

2. Rahul M (the Mod.) wrote in the Positive Thread “you seem to have missed the intent of those threads. positive news was meant to be a sarcastic tongue in cheek name for posting not to positive news in a humorous way.” and just went ahead and locked the thread.

Perhaps he is not aware of the “Positive Thread” BRF we had in the early/mid 2000s era. There was so much gloom and doom (depressing) news emanating in our desh those days that people used to look forward to reading about some positive developments in the “Positive News” thread - the intention of that thread was never “positive news meant to be a sarcastic tongue in cheek”.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 am

Aman
That thread was called Nation On The March. The positive news threads in BR are sarcastic ones on TSP, China, US and Uk. in BGR, someone already opened the Nation on the March thread before you opened the positive one
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:19 am

Apparently, the relations between India & Russia is not very good currently. Major purchases files from Russia are currently are moving very slowly at MoD. Russians are also really unhappy with India closing in to US camps (obviously).

sum
BGR Newbie

Post by sum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 am

Zynda wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:19 am
Apparently, the relations between India & Russia is not very good currently. Major purchases files from Russia are currently are moving very slowly at MoD. Russians are also really unhappy with India closing in to US camps (obviously).
Posted similar thing in Chakra dhaaga on BRF(which Bharat Karnad had alluded to)

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 am

Lordships at SC ban sale of firecrackers in NCR. Again an instance of overreach in Hindu festivals while they read and interpret the Quran before judging any Islamic issue. Shame.

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:53 am

So SC Bans Diwali in Delhi NCR- WOW

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am

2002 Godhra train burning case: Gujarat ... in prison

With Diwali Firework ban in Delhi-NCR and that burning people alive is not a rarest of the rare crime, my faith in the Indian judiciary I totally agree when Salman Khan says " I have full faith in the Indian Judiciary", I guess we have reached the level of full faith in the Indian Judiciary.

AdityaM
BGR Newbie

Post by AdityaM » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 am

kittoo
BGR Newbie

Post by kittoo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Poocchh from Corporate gurus. I am in a job and career related dilemma.

I currently work at a bank (one of the top 5 banks in India). The work is decent and somewhat laid back. Money, though, is slightly on the lower side when compared to my peers of the same pedigree and industry. I got offer with a 30% hike from much smaller NBFC. Money in the offer is good. I do need money too since I might get married soon.
Upon hearing this my bank initially asked me to reconsider but didnt put any counter offer. I accepted the NBFC offer. Post that my bank said they want to retain me (I have done excellent work by any measure. Very senior people from other teams who I deal with came and asked my boss to retain me) and asked me at what raise would I be willing to stay. I said 22%. They said they will talk to HR and try that. We had some 10 discussions post then. They initially said not possible right now but would try at year end. Then said year end hike depends only on rating (the max is 15% at best possible rating, which is almost impossible to get) and that I was poised to get a good rating. They say they are trying but money part is completely in HR control and HR isnt relenting.
But the thing is, I wouldve got good rating anyway. So what was the point of the negotiation? Even without the offer I would be in the same boat. They wasted 2 months in all these discussions, only to come and tell me that at the end effectively nothing can be done. They still are requesting me a lot to stay, but I am getting nothing out of it. Even if I consider that I wont get bonus and hike this year at the new company, I will still end-up with a loss of some 4Lacs if the current company only goes by rating at the year end (and that with a good rating).
The bank has brand name, I like the work and I only joined last year. So I do want to stay, but they are giving me nothing. What should I do?
Experienced gurus please help me.

SRoy
BGR Newbie

Post by SRoy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 pm

^^

Would your present organization grace you with 10 rounds of discussions if it decides to retrench you due to organizational reasons?

Rudradev
BGR Newbie

Post by Rudradev » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Singha wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:43 am
has anyone read this book ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Meridian
said to be a american classic & true reflection of the pervasive violence through which the frontierlands of a young usa were 'built' - whose legacy endures in society to this day
Yes-- by Cormack McCarthy, who also wrote "The Road" and "No Country for Old Men". I think it is his best book. I'd give it 9/10 easily.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm

by Kitto
They still are requesting me a lot to stay, but I am getting nothing out of it. Even if I consider that I wont get bonus and hike this year at the new company, I will still end-up with a loss of some 4Lacs if the current company only goes by rating at the year end (and that with a good rating).
The bank has brand name, I like the work and I only joined last year. So I do want to stay, but they are giving me nothing. What should I do?
I have been in IT for last 25 years. As soon as I was out of college I would work less than 2 years at any company before getting more money (at least 25% more money and benefits) from somewhere else. Then., I kept moving around and making more money., got married had kids and finally decided to stick with one (working in the same from last 13 years now). You only work for money and nothing else. When you move around to different companies you learn a lot on the job as you have to prove yourself at each fresh job. Managers always counter offer and try to play the moral game (we trained you, we helped you, etc). You give them the notice of 2 weeks (or whatever is the HR policy and do not burn bridges) and then leave. Be professional. A new job at young age is always better.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm

kittoo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 pm

I currently work at a bank (one of the top 5 banks in India). The work is decent and somewhat laid back. Money, though, is slightly on the lower side when compared to my peers of the same pedigree and industry. I got offer with a 30% hike from much smaller NBFC. Money in the offer is good. I do need money too since I might get married soon.
Upon hearing this my bank initially asked me to reconsider but didnt put any counter offer. I accepted the NBFC offer. Post that my bank said they want to retain me (I have done excellent work by any measure. Very senior people from other teams who I deal with came and asked my boss to retain me) and asked me at what raise would I be willing to stay. I said 22%. They said they will talk to HR and try that. We had some 10 discussions post then. They initially said not possible right now but would try at year end. Then said year end hike depends only on rating (the max is 15% at best possible rating, which is almost impossible to get) and that I was poised to get a good rating. They say they are trying but money part is completely in HR control and HR isnt relenting.
But the thing is, I wouldve got good rating anyway. So what was the point of the negotiation? Even without the offer I would be in the same boat. They wasted 2 months in all these discussions, only to come and tell me that at the end effectively nothing can be done. They still are requesting me a lot to stay, but I am getting nothing out of it. Even if I consider that I wont get bonus and hike this year at the new company, I will still end-up with a loss of some 4Lacs if the current company only goes by rating at the year end (and that with a good rating).
I am sorry that they took you for a ride.
Here is what is happening. They are just keeping a carrot in front of your face while they furiously look for a replacement. When they find him/her, they will want to cut you loose. Not because you are a bad employee, but because in their mind they know you are not a "team member" and so cannot be trusted. Once they hire your replacement, they will begin to make your life miserable every day and that will force you to leave on your own (no severance). We all work for money but now you look like one who can be bought with money.

Take the offer that you had which paid you 30% more and just leave quietly without any further drama. If the offer is gone, then just lay low, find another job and quietly leave. Don't do any drama, just leave on a good note.

Your days here are numbered. Make the transition easy on yourself. The key point is never never say that you are quitting to your current employer and then make it conditional. Either leave or don't.

SRoy
BGR Newbie

Post by SRoy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

KJo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm
The key point is never never say that you are quitting to your current employer and then make it conditional. Either leave or don't.
10000000+

Never ever take back a resignation.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:57 pm

kittoo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Kittoo ji when push comes to shove you will just be an employee number for the bank. I have seen people serving 20+ years with high performance being kicked out in a day without even giving them a chance to send a farewell email. (This happened to my own director). Go for what works for you in the long run depending on the priority - money, location , flexi hours, culture, WL balance. For a day to day basis it is dharmic to be loyal to your employer but in the long run org structures change and every company is only as good as the line manager who is also answerable to the company needs. Since money is a priority for most people in today's times go for the job with the better pay. Work would usually be the same in most places with some give and take. Theres nothing better to have some extra cash in hand in your bank balance at the end of the month.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Just a side note, given your positive relations with your current bank people you may not likely burn any bridges when you quit